Tuesday, August 12, 2008

PM & POLY

DISCLAIMER:
The author hereby state’s that no personal offence is meant to any person in the article. I have given this disclaimer in the view of the recent attacks on the journalists. Mistakes in grammar and spellings should be reported. Thank you.
Recently I was chatting to one of PM guyz. He was very excited about one thing, that this time 5 of the PM members are contesting elections for CBC, CMC and consti. This is the first time in whole 7 yrs I witnessed (3 b4 me and 3 after me) that there were so many enthusiast of poly in PM. Nice thing coz these days almost everything in insti is driven by poly. I hope there will come a time when you will be allotted room and given mess food according to ur alignment towards winner. Me and sattu sometimes used to curse cg criterion on the same lines. But that changed soon when cg criterion was being adjusted coz of poly to bring people in and throw people out of committees as small as the management of a miniscule event of organizing a quiz in department . IITians find a shrewd way to do anything.
Ya so I must adhere to the title of the article. I remember when we were in first yr most of our 4th yearites were nowhere around poly. Amitesh was busy managing us and SK was busy managing cogni and Deepak sachan was busy teaching us CPP and watching Ramayana and Mahabharata. The only poly guy in Pm that time was sid and he was a real politician. Allegedly sometime later this faction claimed to fame by putting one amongst them(Brijesh) as treasurer of cogni. But unfortunately all these guyz left PM in second yr only and so PM claim to some work was in abeyance for yrs to come. Lohiya was treasurer in thomso that year so again he was out of poly or lets say more into it indirectly. Nishith was busy downloading movies from IMG server and also maintaining his health. Sidhu was really concerned with his CGPA and so he kept out of all this. Though he had a short stint as poly guy when he stood for constituency. Reena got complacent after being declared as GM of PM so she no more tried to be the GM of SB.
I now should come to my year and explicitly discuss the poly dynamics of it. I start with none other than our own Anuj bhansaali who, I dunno how many times stood up for election and always ended pulling out due to some compromise or as he says “actually I didn’t want a conflict”. I have lost count of it. It started right from first year when bhanssali was out coz he filed his nomination late by about some 20 min. He was really hoping to win that time, though the opinion polls said some other story. By second yr we were very well prepared for this stunt of bhansaali during the month of august.
This guy is famous across the generations of PM and so he comes next. Yella. If you want to get an idea of how “aam aadmi” is being cheated by bloody politicians, then you should do a case study on yella and his 4 years in IITR. This teddy bear of PM bore the brunt of poly since second year. The good thing about it is that every time he had some new politician digging trenches for him. I should not give the explicit data since most of us know it.
Preeti followed legacy of reena, staying out poly and teaching manners to most of us. We learnt quite a lot of etiquettes during our stay in IIT than in our whole lifetime.
Saarangi had a tatste of politics during cogni interview of second year when sai baba, who was no where near saarangi in credentials, got the post. He did a sensible thing of staying as far as possible for coming years. About me, I was busy in sports activities, trying my hard luck in cricket for some time. Also I was at flirting distance from poly as sattu being in it during first year and chirayu helping ojha to become CBC of cautley. And as I would never write any of my loop holes so that is it about me.
Now I should also tell that in later half of our first year, we had some new addition to existing strength of our year. Same followed with second year too. And we fortunately got two politicians. In fact two heavy weights of their times(pun intended). One was anish who first had quite a nice stint as insti politician then he got call from some high level politics and became president of nasa. Other was Krishan. Well as he eventually became the secy of pm, hopes were high that PM would get something to do in coming cogni as he was the convener. But alas, we ended up gathering dust. Actually Pm secy ship I think was one way of securing some post if nothing turned up, but by god’s and poly god’s grace he ended up with 3 different responsibilities or responsibilities , I must say and then it was obvious that secy ship had to go down the drain.
So this is the story till now. Not a good record but still needs a mention that how our forefathers have performed in this arena. This time we have our secy, joint secy and three others are in fray. Also one of our previous members is also in fight. I hope that this time we would have some of “our” people in and would better the previous records. Good luck for 17th of Aug.

2 comments:

preety said...

hey u have spelled my name wrong.......
P.S.:good wrk
Preety

DukeOfMayhem said...

i don't if i got cheated all that much either! anyway, in response to your blog, i have to say that is a cynical way of looking at things.. A lot of things which people achieved as well, has nothing to do with poli or anything as such..Politics does have a role to play, especially if you want students to have a role in the running of the institute.. Sure, there are people who win in it, do some thing that really abuses the power of their position, but still all in all, just remember that the people inside are people like you.. Somebody has to take a stand somewhere...Right or wrong, i will not comment on anyone, whatever happened inside the institute, if you look at it in a macroscopic level, all of these things dont really matter.. I mean when i look back at the four years in PM, i guess i tend to block out most of whatever went wrong and remember what went right..I guess, leaving it all behind and moving on is an important part of life.. Look, i know i lost a lot of money in the institute, and i may have been taken advantage of, but really it wasnt such a big deal..at the time i might have frustrated or angry, but still now looking back at it, it seems very small...I mostly remember that I met lots of nice people in the insti, and that I had a fun time there..I guess all these things are transient, and remembering the good times that you had is important..I would say dont mistake naivete for ingenuosness.. Its mostly that people use whatever they have at their disposal to get work done...